Buying Out Of State

Buying Out Of State


Find the best deal on your next vehicle is important. Sometimes that might take you out of state and you might not know what that involves. That’s where Gainesville GMC comes in! We’ve got everything you need to know about how to purchase your next ride from out of state and all the benefits that come from buying from a member of the Morgan Automotive Group.

Common Questions About Buying Out Of State

Will you ship me the vehicle?

Yes, we are able to ship vehicles all over the continental United States.

Pricing and rebates?

The advertised pricing for the new vehicles on our website and other media is after all GMC incentives applicable to residents of the Gainesville region. GMC may offer different incentives for your home address; therefore, the pricing may be different.

What about taxes?

Most states, but not all states, are “reciprocal” with Florida for sales tax. In the states that are not, you would have to pay 6% sales tax to the state of Florida plus your home state tax. It may not make financial sense for you to purchase in Florida due to these differing tax requirements and rates. As of now, the following states are considered “double-tax” states: Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia. There are others in certain cases as well.

Can I register any Gainesville GMC vehicle in my home state?

Some states have different emission requirements than Florida. We are able to accommodate most states, towns and cities

Can I finance with my bank or credit union?

Drafts, letters of credit, or funds on hold will not be accepted on Out of State deals. We will also be happy to assist you with financing.

What about insurance?

You will be required to provide state and VIN specific insurance, driver’s licenses or other proof of identity required from your state; and if transferring a license plate, a copy of your state registration. All of these items must match the address of your new registration and the address we use on our buyers’ orders.

What if I am not returning home soon?

Some states require a vehicle/emissions inspection in your home state before they will title and register the vehicle. If your state does not have inspection requirements, the process is much simpler.

Can I handle my own title and registration?

No, our manufactures and lenders require the dealership provide proof of registration and lien record. GMC requires proof of registration matching any incentives received.

What about additional fees charged by my state?

There are a few states that will not/cannot give us the amount of local/city/county/state fees, sales tax, ad valorem tax, or use tax. We will do our best to estimate the cost for titling/registering your vehicle in your home state, but in some cases additional fees and items may be required. Please be advised that your assistance with getting the required documents and fees will be necessary before we are able to deliver your vehicle.

How long will it take to receive my new registration?

Each state varies greatly on how fast they process out-of-state titles and registration. If you must provide emissions,state inspection, ad-valorem or paid property tax-fees-assessments receipts, this will increase the processing time. Our goal, once we have all the documents, is to complete the registration within 60 days.